Devon is a county of rolling pastures, deep red earth and people-sized fields, whose fertile ground supports a wealth of farmers and smallholders. I look forward to sharing with you the best local produce that inspires so many of my recipes.
Here are a few of my favourites. Find out about many more via the Crediton Local Produce website. Sometimes I’ll even be able to supply some really fresh produce from our own (small) garden.
- Linscombe Organic Vegetables I’ve known Phil and Helen since they started their organic vegetable farm 14 years ago just over the hill from where we live. It became a Soil Association show case farm and, as well as growing great vegetables they actively manage wildlife habitats. We’ve had a veg box from them for many years and enjoy the seasonality of their produce.
- Devon Ruby Red beef – Clannaborough We pass the fields where these cattle are pastured almost every day. Ruby Red Beef is one of only two Devon products that is a member of the Slow Food ARK of specialised local produce.
- Creedy Carver These chickens (and ducks) are nationally renowned for their quality, their taste and how they are treated. Our bonus is that they are bred only a couple of miles north of Crediton.
- SB Stanbury and Sons, a seasonal regular at Crediton Farmers’ Market, provide a lovely variety of local game, including venison and squirrel.
- Dunn’s Dairy We get our milk and yoghurt from Dunn’s Farm delivered to the doorstep. They use no sprays, herbicides, pesticides and no GM products are fed to their animals. Their yoghurt tastes great and their butter just disappears out of the butter dish.
- Cheese We are blessed with a wide range of cheese producers in the Crediton area from the internationally known, award-winning Quicke’s Traditional cheeses to small, but great, producers such as Norsworthy Goat’s Cheese and Riverside Goat’s Cheese.
- Drink Refreshing soft drinks, tasty ales and award-winning ciders and wines can all be sourced locally from Redhill Apple Juice, Sandford Orchards, The Beer Engine, Eastcott Vineyard near Okehampton and Yearlestone Vineyard between Tiverton and Crediton.
- MC Kelly Ltd, whose buildings we can see from our kitchen, provide great local meat and a range of specialist foods.